CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 AM
CAMaster owner

Default Gluing HDU round 2?

So I've had a fear of using poly glue (gorilla) for gluing pieces of HDU together ever since the squeeze out incident of 2017 haha. Does anyone have any tricks to at least limit this? I am thinking of doing an inlay and trying once again, I wonder if on that last pass maybe cut 1/4 deeper so it has a little valley in the bottom all the way around the letter hoping that the excess glue would find its way into there as opposed to squeezing out around the letters. Does anyone think this might be a good idea?

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

With polyurethane glue you don't want much excess space because it's not "gap filling", despite the foamy squeeze out. That causes a weak bond. If you use it, you need to zero in on the amount that works without the squeeze out if the operation at hand doesn't lend itself to trimming excess after it cures (pre-finished backgrounds, etc) or select another product. Michael recommended something else in the FB group in case you didn't see it.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

I've never glued hdu but I think using the glue that is made for it would be the most logical. Here is a link to one.

https://precisionboard.com/products/adhesives/
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10
Old 05-22-2020, 02:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

E6000 is great and doesn't expand like polyU.
5Hp ATC spindle with 8 tool carousel
WinCNC
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 05-22-2020, 06:48 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
E6000 is great and doesn't expand like polyU.
Hummm, I have that and now I'm curious of it outdoor ability. Gonna do a bit of research.

Thanks

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
I've never glued hdu but I think using the glue that is made for it would be the most logical. Here is a link to one.

https://precisionboard.com/products/adhesives/
Yup, it's the same as the stuff I got from Duna. When I did it, it expanded like spray foam but I also could have been a bit to liberal with the amount.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
With polyurethane glue you don't want much excess space because it's not "gap filling", despite the foamy squeeze out. That causes a weak bond. If you use it, you need to zero in on the amount that works without the squeeze out if the operation at hand doesn't lend itself to trimming excess after it cures (pre-finished backgrounds, etc) or select another product. Michael recommended something else in the FB group in case you didn't see it.
Yup, just saw that. Gonna give a try to a few of their suggestions.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
3.0 kW Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro 10.xx

www.cool-signs.com
Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 AM
CAMaster Owner

I've tried almost every glue that will work on HDU, at some point in time. I liked the DUNA glue, but it doesn't come in small containers, & all urethane glues will harden with age. So I stick with Gorilla Glue.

I have no issues with expansion, but then again, "squeeze out" is desirable for me ..... I don't want water getting into any joint, because it will freeze, expand, & eventually cause the joint to fail.

First, you need a very thin layer of glue. Moisten one surface ... don't "soak" it.

Secondly ...... buy yourself a spray bottle of Rapid Prep. It's a pre-cleaner for vinyl application, & most sign-supply companies carry it. I think it has some alcohol in it.

Thirdly .... keep some "cheap" Q-tips handy ( not the brand-name ones... they're too good) IF you have a vice, or an anvil, flatten some of the Q-tips out.

So, after you've clamped your pieces together, in a few minutes you'll see some squeeze-out. You can remove this with by rolling a Q-tip soaked in Rapid Prep. Also, IF you get any urethane glue on your hands, spray with rapid prep & wipe it off with a paper towel .... otherwise your fingers will look line you've been husking walnuts.

You have to babysit this for 30 - 60 minutes, depending on the temperature, humidity, & how much glue you have in the joint.

IF you have areas where the Q-tip can't get the squeeze-out, that's where the flattened Q-tips come in. Like, if you have applied letters "standing proud".

IF you're gluing a 2 sided sign together, which I do a lot ( so I can have an embedded mounting insert") the squeeze-out along the edge isn't much of an issue, although "runs" have to be cleaned up with Rapid Prep. Otherwise, sanding will do the trick.
One note .... Gorilla Glue dried is harder than 15lb HDU, & softer than 20lb. That's why clean-up with Rapid Prep is critical.

One other note , as to my brand preference ..... I use Gorilla glue a lot for added textures..... photo's attached. Other brands don't dry as "hard", so don't work as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GorillaOak.jpg (93.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg FBlilyBridal.jpg (100.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg GorillaFir.jpg (91.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg JoeJarvis7.jpg (95.8 KB, 29 views)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3