CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Video Valt > CNC Machines at Work

Old 12-02-2020, 02:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hi gang

I'm looking for info/experience for anyone cutting aluminum with the Stinger 3. Mostly will be cutting 6061 and 2024 sheet aluminum. But eventually would like to do some light "milling" as it looks like that is more than possible. ........ CAMaster says so anyway.

But for the time being, getting proficient with the VCarve software and WIN CNC is problem enuff. I have used Corel Draw for years and prefer to draw in that but the VCarve doesn't like the .dxf files exported from Corel. Example................ a circle isn't really a circle when imported. It's a lot of short straight lines that form a distance appear round. This carries on into anything that's not a straight line. I can edit it out but takes a lot of time and the accuracy can suffer. I am used to Corel where I can easily work within .001 inch and place objects precisely.

I have experience on another brand of machine with proprietary software specifically made for cutting sheet aluminum for aircraft instrument panels. But it is small and parts are size limited................. did a great job tho.

Even after getting the .dxf file created, I'm am having a hard time getting settings correct to make a cut or getting .dxf into a functional .tap file. I'm trying to get a handle on it before cutting with the price of the sheet being anywhere from $80 to $200 a sheet.

Thanx in advance!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 PM
CAMaster Owner

Give me a shout Tomorrow. Ill walk you through settings, feeds, speeds, etc..

I cut aluminum 98% of the time on my S3, .06 to 2 thick. You will need to adjust your .ini settings, if you have not already.
Laser Cross hair
Maglube Misting System
VCarve Pro V9.5
Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaucier12 View Post
Give me a shout Tomorrow. I’ll walk you through settings, feeds, speeds, etc..

I cut aluminum 98% of the time on my S3, .06” to 2” thick. You will need to adjust your .ini settings, if you have not already.
Thanx for your response. Looks like we have the same machine............ Shows me a CAMhead guest but actually an owner. How to find you ?

Thanx

Wayne