CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > materials and bits, collets, etc.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Drilling + Cutting Corian/Solid Surface

I have been shopping the O-flute (Onsrud + Amana) bits as they seem to be the go->to for plastics.

Wondering if this is also the best choice for solid surface materials (as they are thermo-plastics)?

I am preparing for production + refining the design (see attached) on some solid surface input panels for custom machine controls. Each panel is equipped with a speaker that requires ~60% clear air to function properly.

Hoping y'all might have some advice as I understand spindles don't exactly love drilling and as designed there are about-a-million 1/16" dia. holes that will need to be drilled to accomplish this.

- 1/16" er-25 collet + (? special ?)drill bit?
- how to peck with aspire

or.... too much trouble for the effect....just change the opportunity to alter the speaker grill design for milled pockets or the like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.16.28 PM.jpg (11.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Stinger II Owner

What are your smallest diameter holes? A profile toolpath using a spiral feed makes great holes if you can have diameters larger than your tool.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 AM
CAMaster owner

You can drill them with a 1/16 drill bit, and 1/16 collet. Need to experiment with RPM spindles have less power at lower RPMS probably a minimum recommended rpm for your spindle. 1/16 bits are cheap if you burn up a few. If it not to thick I would just drill it in one shot.

That being said, could you jump up to .125? A .125 hole is 4X the area of a 1/16. You have a cnc why not get creative instead of a bunch of holes?

508 Cobra ATC 15 Tools