CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Restart Question

I searched this and didn't really find a definitive answer. I was running a 3D carve and shut down the operation when I'm not going to be there. So I've had several restarts. The program had 1.4 million lines so decent sized. This was the roughing phase but that shouldn't matter. I noticed last night I was cutting some air. Hmmmm not sure what's with that. Shut down and went to bed. Started up this morning and it ran maybe 5 minutes and finished. So I was curious and lowered the router bit to the surface. "0" was about -.220. So there was my reason for not cutting as I thought it should. When I stop in the middle I've been doing the space bar and then escape. So should I initialize before a restart or even retouch the touchpad for the Z "0"? This isn't the first time I thought my 0 had changed but this is the first time I have confirmed it. I use the restart feature and in a few instances manually entered the line number but normally just let the controller handle that. As a side note I did change router bits mid stream but the replacement referenced off the surface at the same 0 setting. An error of thousandths possible but definitely not anywhere close to what I observed.
Vectric VCarve Photo
Old 02-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Stinger II Owner

This morning you would definitely initialize assuming you powered down during the night.
If you didn’t change tools then zeroing wouldn’t be required.
Sounds like it is a problem unrelated to restarting given it was noticed before shutdown. Right?
Old 02-13-2021, 01:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yes I noticed it maybe the restart before yesterday but it still seemed to be doing some cutting in the deeper parts of the carve but let it go. Now I'm thinking it didn't remove as much material as it should have. The finish is running now. So far so good.
Vectric VCarve Photo