CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger 4 ATC

Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Angry Z Axis Homing Issue & Other Z problems

Whenever I initialize / home the z axis it doesn't display the correct absolute Z position. It goes up to the limit switch during initialize or G28, triggers the switch as it should, drops down a little, then sets the absolute Z somewhere around .6. In actuality is is ~6 inches above the table top. I've cleared any user offsets and anything else I can think of trying.

I've also tried to calibrate the switch then measure the tool. Typically it goes down to to hit the switch says it completes then the z axis won't move again. No matter what I push I can't get the z axis to move unless I turn off the machine, close wincnc, and then restart. The absolute Z is then all kinds of messed up. It can vary from -5 upwards to -13. I'm at a loss currently on what could be going on.

I've been able to successfully get it to calibrate the Z and tool 1 time then run a file. It took me probably 10 times to get it to work and after that it hasn't worked again. I feel like there is something going on somewhere I just don't know where to start. I would put in a call to tech support but I don't have decent internet out where the machine is. I'm working on getting internet out there, but that is something else on the list to get done.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

After reading and thinking about it some more it seems like I may have an actual issue with the machine versus me doing something wrong. Although me screwing something up is definitely a possibility.

Am I correct in thinking that the initialize / G28 function resets the absolute position of the machine? That should be an automated process correct, that I don't have to do anything special for except hit the button or type in the code? Also when the machine locks out the axis after touching off the machine tool switch, does that indicate an issue somewhere?

I plan on reseating all of the connections I can find tomorrow. After that is there anything I need to do if that doesn't fix the issue other than call tech support? I have a new owner orientation scheduled for next week. I assume this is something I should call them about ahead of time though and get working before next week.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast
Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Initialization lets the machine ascertain and reset it's limits for X, Y and Z (upper limit only) so that when you send code to it, it will be able to properly map the movements and actions you're asking it to do. It may also do some things relative to your ATC, but I don't have one and cannot confirm that. In addition to when you turn it on in the morning, you want/need to re-initialize if you have anything unusual happen, such as a crash/stall or you have to hit the big red button to stop it in its tracks for whatever reason. Initialization is also part of the warmup process.

Based on your description, something does seem amiss. Have you called into support and discussed it with a technician?

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

No I haven't called tech support yet other than to set up my new owner orientation. I didn't want to prematurely call them if it was just user error. I will probably give them a call tomorrow. It seems like a hardware issue that I'll need to get sorted out before I proceed with orientation and using the machine.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Old 11-14-2019, 04:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

I opened the control box this morning and ran the machine with the doors open. After I recreated the issue I noticed the Z drive controller was displaying an error (ER 020). I placed a call into tech support and ended up sending some pictures over to Michael. He's going to do some research and get back to me. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Just a follow up for any one that searches for this later or was curious on the outcome. The ER 020 code can be caused be several things and one of them is an acceleration speed that is too fast. I ended up lowering my Z acceleration with the L6 Z command and was able to get going. I had a new owner orientation today with Michael and had him go ahead and update my wincnc.ini file while he was at it so I don't have to L6 every time I open wincnc.

I'm just grateful it wasn't something that needed replacing and I was able to get going.

As a result I was able to cut my first project on the machine yesterday. It was a test bread board that I plan on making for Christmas presents. I'll try to get a picture posted in the next couple of days.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10