CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > How To Use This Forum > CAMheads How 2

Old 05-31-2020, 06:52 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default No long 1/4" downcuts to be found

I'm hoping to laminate two sheets of 3/4" ply together to make a ~1.5" thick piece of stock that I then hope to profile cut on my Cobra. My goal is to laminate before I cut for a variety of reasons. Finally, my cut has 1/4" radius inside fillets.

So I was hoping to find a 1/4" downcut bit that'll handle this, but I can't find one anywhere and I'm wondering if that's just not a thing. ToolsToday has this upcut version, but I'd like to avoid tearout on top. https://www.toolstoday.com/v-14289-46577-k.html

Any ideas?

2013 Cobra 510 w/ ATC
Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 PM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

1/4" radius = 1/2" diameter bit???? Use a compression bit, you will never get a downspiral to cut 1 1/2" deep without a 🔥
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Cobra Owner

Because downcut bits are more expensive than upcuts, I use them sparingly. I cut the profile .15 deep with the downcut and then finish the with the upcut bit. No tearout at the surface and the downcut bits go on for months.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 06-01-2020, 01:32 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

That's too thick to do the full cut with a down-spiral for the reasons stated...you'll hear the fire engines coming and the kerf will be amazingly impacted even if you don't have flames.

Do an initial cut with a down-spiral to insure a clean top edge and then do the remainder of the cut with an up-spiral. If you can, use something larger than .25", too, to avoid chatter...as well as the cutting length of .25" bits generally doesn't exceed about 1.125" or so. The long, relieved shank .25" bits (like Amana's) can get deep but I find it has a lot of chatter and I can rarely get a clean cut on thicker material for it. I'm using a .375" up-cut for most of this kind of cutting on my Stinger II with an allowance and a final pass at full depth. If the material surface is delicate, I absolutely hit it with a down-cut first for 6-10mm of depth (.25"-.375") and then use the stouter tool to do the hard work.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com