CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Turning center on Stinger

Could someone try to explain to me why the turning center is located on the opposite side of the on/off switch and safety switch/hook ups??? Makes absolutely no sense in my mind as I can't place it against the wall and can't make any type of enclosure for it. Why not just flip the control box around? This is the only flaw I've found with my machine and it should be corrected on future machines. Or...put the safety/ hook ups on the end of the machine which would accommodate both sides. If you get hung up in the turning for any reason, there is no way you could reach the e-stop. Poor design.
Aspire 8.5
Old 12-02-2019, 11:48 AM
CAMaster Owner

Probably because the opposite side that the lathe is on (the low X side) can accept an ATC rotary carousel or fixed ATC tool holder and as upgrade option and not get in the way of the lathe. I'm sure the design/layout has been thought out ad nauseam and this is the best way to do it.
VcarvePro 9.5
15Hp FPZ vacuum, phenolic plenum
Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Unless I'm mistaken, the recoil ornamental lathe for any size of the Camaster machines locates it on the right side facing the front (x=0) end of the machine. That's likely because of the "native" x-y zero is left-front and extending the "grid" off to the right (a positive number) is more convenient in multiple ways.

The solution to the e-stop if one is concerned is to have an alternative to it; either a remote keypad (requires the WinCNC window to be "in focus" on the screen to allow the abort button to function or either a parallel E-Stop button or the original E-Stop button relocated into movable (presumably magnetically attachable) box.

One important thing...be sure that no matter how you handle this that the E-Stop button is not located where you will accidentally bump it while running a job. Wink...wink...nod...nod...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com

Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
CAMaster Owner

If I had to use my Amazing Psychic Powers to understand why CAMaster puts the rotary on the X+ side I'd guess it works best on the a wider range of CAMaster machines. For the reason that Guitarwares points out and because on the bigger machines one really needs access to all sides and having the only access be over the rotary would be awkward. I had my little Stinger II positioned for a time so that the primary access side was over the rotary -- what a pain in the backside! Horrible!

Now... for the Stinger I... yeah, maybe it would be nice to have the controls and rotary on one side so the X0 side would be against a wall/etc. One could move the E-stop and on/off switches. May even be able to request such a customization from CAMaster when ordering.