CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Can't make round holes

non circles.jpg
Soon after setting up my Stinger 1 table top machine I noticed the circles or holes were not round. I spoke with tech support and they said to check the Allen screws on the gears. I did find that one was not tight on the small gear so tighten it. The issue mostly went away so Iíve been living with it. Within the last few days Iíve notices the circles were again out of round and also hear a popping or clunking sound coming from the same area where the gears are located. Wiggling stuff around, I found that the Allen screws holding the bottom aluminum plate in place were slightly loose. Tightening them stopped the popping sound but did nothing for the circles. It appears to me that the Y axes is the issue when studying at the attached drawing. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
George
Old 03-24-2019, 02:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

maybe look through some of this.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...-software.html

Are there belts on the stinger1? If so, check tension.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 03-24-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Check the tension on the X-Axis belt up behind the spindle/router mount. Mine was slightly loose early on and that caused the out-of-round issue. Tensioning it properly fixed the problem.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Camaster Owner

I had a similar problem cutting 10" circular clock faces several years ago. As I recall, Gary Campbell suggested an alignment of the gantry which I did. It was a PITA to do, involving loosening all the gantry screws except one, slightly tapping the gantry frame on one side with a rubber mallet then tightening all screws then test again. The PITA was having to repeat this a good number of times, running the test, undoing/redoing, run again.......you get the idea. Unfortunately I won't be back to my shop for 3-4 weeks which is where the written instructions for this fix are. So, assuming that this may work for you, perhaps Gary or someone else who's done it, can describe the procedure. As with every other piece of equipment in my shop, my Stinger 1 required tweaking for it to run as well as it possibly can. By the way, this procedure worked extremely well and since then, my settings haven't budged. My clock circles are still perfect to this day. Hope this helps.
WIN-CNC
V-Carve Pro
Home made vacuum
Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
CAMaster Owner

George, did you ever find the problem? If so could you share the solution?
3.5 Milwaukee router
Prepped for recoil
Old 06-09-2019, 06:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post
George, did you ever find the problem? If so could you share the solution?
Weíve been out of state for a few weeks and just returned. I removed the bottom support plate where the Y drive motor bearing is located. All allen head screws were tight. I check all the allen set screws on both gears and all are tight, in fact, 2 are so tight I didnít try to loosen them for fear of stripping the threads. I also checked the tension on the X-Axis belt as Jim suggested and it is tight as are all the screws their. Reassembling the bottom plate on the Y axes seemed to help a little but itís still not right. Iím at a loss at this point so Iíll contact tech support. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default Still no round holes - update

Iíve been in touch with tech support concerning this on-going issue. I first want to say that I do appreciate the swift response and how attentive they are to my problem. Iíve spent a few days on the issue and believe weíve eliminated some of the possibilities, IMHO. Iíve been over every cap screw and bolt I can see; tried to shake every part and checked the engagement of the X&Y rack and pinion gear sets every 4Ē. Nothing I can find is loose or out of adjustment. Here is why I donít think the problem is with the rack & pinions. As can be seen in the drawing, only an illustration as the offset cannot be seen in a carving, only with a drawing, circles have a flat side on the top and the bottom of the cut. This is the case no matter where on the table the cut is made. It is also the case no matter the size of the circle up the maximum Iíve cut of 4Ē. Saturday, I placed a fine point pen next to the spindle and drew several circles. The results are the same but as you can see in the drawing, the ends did not meet. Would it not change depending on where on the table it is drawn if the issue was with one of the rack and pinions? Even if a tooth on a pinion gear was bad, would not that cause the circles to be slightly different in different locations or on different sizes of circles? Both belts are tight and the slide plates that move the pinion gear and drive motors into the racks are as they should be, as best I can tell. No slop and full engagement with the racks. I am less sure on this point but it appears to me the problem happens when the Y axes changes direction? Just a thought, but, could this be a firmware issue? I sent the code for one of the circles to tech support and I can generate a circle in both Vcarve and Aspire with the same outcome. Iím at a loss here and welcome ant more suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg non-circle.jpg (46.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

Thank you for the very clear drawing. Your issue is most assuredly play or backlash in the X axis. Thinking that it is anything else will prevent you from finding the cure.

To define clamp a dial indicator to the gantry beam with the indicator point against the X axis plate. With motors powered up, push pull on the X plate using firm pressure. Dial will show the backlash. As you look into the mechanics of the X transmission with a friend moving it, you should be able to determine where the play is located.

Those items would be: (no order of importance)
Loose set screws on the motor (small) or trans (large) pulley
Loose Belt
Worn spur gear
Loose spur gear setscrews
Sticking Slide plate. This is the plate that supports the large pulley and spur gear shaft. It is spring loaded and should move with hand pressure away from the rack, then spring back to it.
Missing or out of adjustment slide plate tension spring
Loose slide plate bolts
Loose transmission bolts
Loose rack bolts
Bad transmission bearings
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 06-29-2019, 09:06 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default Canít make round holes solved

My Dad use to say “I believe in giving flowers to the living”. He would do for others or give credit to those he thought deserving. One could do worse so I likewise want to give credit where credit is due. The back story, for those that may not know, is the inability to make round holes on my CaMaster Stinger I table top router. I drove to Cartersville about ten day before Christmas last year to pick up the machine. I had previously visited the plant a year or so prior, for a tour and to make a final decision on which machine to buy. I had narrowed it down to CaMaster and one other company, based not only on how well the machines preform but also on service after the sale. I suppose I don’t need to express the importance of that. CaMaster won out, mostly on the later point, as I found no negative reviews, of any relevance, either here on the forum or elsewhere, which could not be said for the competitor. I spent days trying to figure out where the issue lay but thought from the beginning it had to do with the Y axes. I got several suggestions here from several of the guys, most of which I tried, and then called for tech service. Michael called me either that day or the following. I followed his instructions as precisely as possible and after several days, he decided to send out a new Y axes gear box. As soon as I removed the old gear box and got the assembly where I could better inspect it, I found that in fact it was one of the Allen set screws that would not turn that was the issue. Replacing the assembly solved the problem and I’m glad to say it’s running as designed. The flowers go to Michael Skene, Tech Support Dep.
The attached PDF explains it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Y axes replacement.pdf (1.03 MB, 40 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 AM
CNC Consultants and Trainers

This is a great thread for those who may have this common issue in the future.
How to diagnose:
1) Use a circular cut (or drawing like shown here)
2) Orient that cut or drawing with X L/R and Y U/D (like mine below)
I made the mistake of looking right by his "X" callout and erroneously assumed XY were in their normal orientation and then posted this was a problem in the X axis, when it was obvious after seeing the "X" on the drawing that the issue was in the Y axis.
3) With the drawing oriented as I show below, you can see that the error occurs in the Up/Down direction, therefore is in the U/D axis, which is Y.

Sorry for the blatant (not paying attention) mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circle.jpg (75.5 KB, 33 views)
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"