CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Not going to believe this...

I think I am going to take up a collection from everyone for all the money and time I save them, or youíre not as dumb as I feel.

So my spoilboard was almost kaput so I got a new one and surfaced the remaining off the plenum. I glue mine down so I have to mill the old one off.
Being the tight ass German that I am, I decided not to go all the way into the waffle and just make it flat where I can see it. All good up to this point.
Now I put the smallest dot of glue on each waffle, even the ones that still have a fine layer of old spoil board on them.
Place the new board on, turn on vacuum and seal edges while the glue cures- just like every other time.
Throw my first sheet on the table and it breaks loose on the first piece.
No vacuum at all in cell 2.
Turns out that the microscopic dot of glue I placed on the part remaining spread across the entire area and sealed it tight.
Now I sit here in my pity, milling off my brand new spoiler so I can do it right tomorrow.
And I quit drinking beer so I canít even drown my sorrows.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Did you suck it down with the vacuum and surface off the shiny factory finish before flipping it and gluing it down?

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 10-09-2019, 09:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

You bet. The issue was the remaining old spoilboard below and the glue spreading across it evenly like a sheet. When you just have the waffle tops, it can only spread so far.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:30 AM
CAMaster Owner

And here I always thought it was a GOOD thing if you made something and it DIDNT suck!

I've posted your note next to my machine so when I have to redo mine I learn from "others" mistakes. Send me a bill!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM
CAMaster Owner

That was the purpose off my post. Please learn from my stupid mistake. I will be mounting my second spoil board within 24 hours-a new record.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM
CAMhead Legend

Since most don't change out their bleeder very often, it's easy to get stuck with this kind of situation. There is NO standard from ANY MDF manufacturer in the USA for this application. I know because I called all of the manufacturers and spoke to application engineers who were all completely clueless that their products were being used for this and had no helpful information. Unless you can get your hands on premium MDF (like Plum Creek, Sierra was also fairly consistent) - you have no idea how much resin is in the board. Even so, it very much does vary from batch to batch.

When I was setting up machines, I learned to test vacuum with the MDF just laying it on top of the grid, dry. Take readings on the gauge with all zones open with & without material on top (to emulate material to be cut). Without taking readings, you really don't know how much the actual delta/usable vacuum is...I have yet to find MDF that showed more than a 1 to 2Hg" difference between just slapping it up on the grid and measuring and skinning it first - before testing using the dry test method.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

I glued a new one on with 1/2 an inch left on my old one.
I cut a grid into it first though.
Seems to work fine.

I did consider just putting dots of glue without the grid. Glad I didn't, basically got lucky there.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik