CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > CAMheads Show Room

Old 01-01-2021, 10:41 AM
CAMaster Owner

Elvis is dead????
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 01-01-2021, 03:22 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegrafix View Post
Lol, copyright doesn't end with the show. Thats like saying well...Elvis is dead, time to sell some of his songs on a bootleg cd.
I don't recall saying that copyright ended with the show - Good as the show was, don't think its quite comparable to Elvis or the Beatles, who still gross $1,000,000's a year in sales of music and merchandise.
Contrast that with a decade dormant show which many or most have never heard of, so its not worth it for the copyright owners to pay a team of enforcers combing for violations.

Too, they wouldn't lose a single $ if someone bought a custom 3D model because they don't offer anything remotely similar, unlike an Elvis bootleg [did end up selling the purpleheart one for over $200].

Should note that its not venues like ebay themselves that comb through listings and look for violations, its the owners of the copyright who do the combing and request that ebay take it down. As time passes and interest lapses, stands to reason there is less and less combing, or they may chose to concentrate on more obvious, simple to make items like tshirts, hats and mouse pads, which they may in fact still officially sell.

Some outfits like Harley and sports teams are notoriously anal about their designs, and others like vehicle manufacturers don't seem to care, and like seeing their logo out there any way they can.
Being a guitar player, I have noticed that the owners of the Eagles music catalog are super anal, I posted a vid of me playing just the beginning acoustic part and it was taken down the next day, the vid is still visible in searches but if you click on it you get a black screen with white lettering that says "Sorry this video is not viewable due to copyright violations", or words thereof. Browsed around out of curiosity [actually not much of a fan, do like that song though] and found dozens of others in the same situation, whereas you can find 1,000's of vids or renditions, covers and tutorials of almost any song from any other band.

So there is no 1 size fits all copyright standards or guidance, if I thought the owners were losing sales of custom made 3d wood models that take many hours to make then I wouldn't try to sell them.
I am guessing that Boeing owns the copyright for the 747 yet I doubt if they'd be upset if I made a model of one. So thats just a little perspective and food for thought for the simplistic "Lol, Elvis !" type comment.

Stinger 1
Old 05-19-2021, 05:30 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Preview of my next project in spalted maple, haven't done one in quite some time, hopefully will be very sharp.
Am rusty, trying to figure out how to cut only the chain border and the model within, then hopefully cut it out around the outside of the chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6644.jpg (88.1 KB, 38 views)

Stinger 1
Old 06-08-2021, 11:19 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Fresh off the table, a little sanding and finish and done.
Was going to cut it out around the chain but decided it looked better in the block. Probably should have set the model higher up in the block, oh well. Might zap it when I get my zapper, not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6717.jpg (96.5 KB, 31 views)

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 06-08-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:55 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
Fresh off the table, a little sanding and finish and done.
Was going to cut it out around the chain but decided it looked better in the block. Probably should have set the model higher up in the block, oh well. Might zap it when I get my zapper, not sure.
Very cool Doug, looks great! I just got my Stinger 1 setup and am curious about the cutting time. What's the dimensions of your piece? And what bits did you use as well as feeds & speeds? I think it'll help if I can put the machining details together with a project to understand starting points. Appreciate any info.

Les
VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC
Old 06-09-2021, 12:15 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

About 8x12", took about 6 hours with a 1/32 tapered ball nose bit - A must have item for fine 3d work. Used half a roughing pass too, that only took 15 minutes. Sometimes I skip roughing all together, only purpose is to hog out material quickly to spare the [$$] finish bit the chore.
12% stepover, could have gotten it done much quicker with a higher % but I go for quality and detail rather than speed ,, And stepover is about thee most important factor in quality vs speed, simply can not have both. On the other hand there is a point of diminishing returns, might have used say 14% and there might be no perceptible difference yet I would have saved 45 minutes or so, so its trial & error and keeping these things logged in the brain. Can use preview to a degree to notice differences but with tight values, only sure way is to try and compare.

Feed rate is always jacked up, doesn't matter all that much with 3D as the limit is the Z movement, so doesn't hurt to go 250 IMP, you won't realize speeds like that with heavy z movement which many models have.
RPM I'm a tard with, I just go by sound, never look at the dial but yeah, helps with bit life and cut quality to dial it in close to optimal. Not all that essential with most 3D I think because you are taking tiny bites at a time, really is no chance for the heat buildup, burning and chaffing that can come with improper feeds in other scenarios. I got nearly a perfect finish off the table so that tells me I did more right than wrong.

Stinger 1
Old 06-09-2021, 08:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

Yeah, from the pic the finish looks great. How deep is the carving?
Thanks for the info.
VCarve Pro 10.5 & WinCNC
Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Nice job Doug. I've never done a SOA carving but yours looks great.
FTC
1hp Spindle
Laser crosshair
Wireless Pendant
Aspire 10.5
Old 06-09-2021, 08:57 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Here she is for posterity finished, decided not to zap it [which should not be done with finished wood], just gave it 3 coats of matte spray on clear coat.

Can see some fuzzies in high rez, not noticeable to the naked eye. IF I had it to do over again I would have set the model higher in the block, and made the chain a bit lower, would have looked a bit less blocky. Other than that this one was a home run.

Always a treat doing 3D with spalt, you never know where you are going to land with it and I got some pretty good patterns. Glad its not over spalted, detracts from the model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6719.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6721.jpg (98.1 KB, 14 views)

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 06-09-2021 at 09:00 PM.