CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Jim Becker

Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thats a sweet looking guitar, Jim. Very nice piece of work!!!
I can almost hear it out here in SW PA.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjg View Post
I can almost hear it out here in SW PA.
Since I can't really play...I pity you if the sound is reaching your neighborhood. LOL My left wrist is useless for fingering the fretboard beyond some very simple needs for testing setup, etc., since the surgery I had a few years ago that removed a row of bones to alleviate a bone-on-bone problem from deteriorated cartilage. I never got more than about 1/4 of my flexibility back for whatever reason.

And thanks for your kind comments. This one does look nice. The other build I'm working on will also be interesting to see when it's complete.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-22-2020, 08:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Looks gorgeous, Jim. What finish did you use and how did you apply it?
Aspire
Old 05-23-2020, 09:45 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVE2000 View Post
Looks gorgeous, Jim. What finish did you use and how did you apply it?
Gary, I use Target Coatings waterborne finishes and spray using an HPLV conversion gun from Jeff Jewitt's Homestead Finishing with the 3M PPS pressure assisted cup. This instrument was grain filled with Z-Poxy first. That was followed by Target's EM1000 waterborne sealer that was also tinted to darken the sides and backs of the body and neck. Top coat is EM7000 high build with the crosslinker for durability. It was leveled and wet sanded with MicroMesh up through 12000 and then buffed with Mcguire's.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-23-2020, 10:24 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Since I can't really play...I pity you if the sound is reaching your neighborhood. LOL My left wrist is useless for fingering the fretboard beyond some very simple needs for testing setup, etc., since the surgery I had a few years ago that removed a row of bones to alleviate a bone-on-bone problem from deteriorated cartilage. I never got more than about 1/4 of my flexibility back for whatever reason.

And thanks for your kind comments. This one does look nice. The other build I'm working on will also be interesting to see when it's complete.
Im sorry to hear about the surgery & diminished capabilities as a result. But I can empathize with you. A few years back I shattered my left index finger in a supremely stupid table saw mishap when a cabinet shelf I was cutting kicked back on me...ugh. Since then my strength in my left hand/wrist has been slowly diminishing and it really affects my drumming ability. Killer chops that were easy in my hey day are leaving me. But...I can still keep a beat! LOL

Cant wait to see the next guitar build.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Joe, fortunately, the surgery didn't really affect my ability to play keyboards...which is my primary instrument. (Although I don't play often anyway) It is an issue for guitar and bass, however. Frustrating, but fortunately, I have various friends that can "test" any instruments I build.

Of course, I have to start considering what I'm going to do with them. LOL I love building but since I can't really play effectively, I have to consider the veracity of hanging them on the wall vs finding them a player to own and play them. I have a 1981 Kramer guitar with the aluminum wishbone neck that I also need to deal with once it's been cleaned thoroughly. It's worth a few shekels since there are not a lot of them out there. (heavy as a boulder, too)

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-23-2020, 03:04 PM
CAMaster Owner

Time to grab a slide and/or play on your lap, Like Jeff Healey.

Nice looking guitar. I can just imagine trying to nail down a neck shape and a fretboard radius or compound radius or or or ....

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

JP, I started out with a "pre-created" file for the neck and modified it in Aspire for my own headstock design. At the time, I wasn't really ready to model at that level of complexity for the sweeps.

Right now, I'm not using compound fretboards, but it's certainly doable with Aspire.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com
Old 05-23-2020, 10:57 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Gary, I use Target Coatings waterborne finishes and spray using an HPLV conversion gun from Jeff Jewitt's Homestead Finishing with the 3M PPS pressure assisted cup. This instrument was grain filled with Z-Poxy first. That was followed by Target's EM1000 waterborne sealer that was also tinted to darken the sides and backs of the body and neck. Top coat is EM7000 high build with the crosslinker for durability. It was leveled and wet sanded with MicroMesh up through 12000 and then buffed with Mcguire's.
Thanks for all that, Jim.

And yeah, as you get older, stuff really starts breaking or doesnít heal. Iíve had an ulnar nerve transposition, but the ring and pinky fingers still are pretty numb, with muscle atrophy. Not healing after years...
Aspire
Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 AM
CAMaster Owner

Yea, finger, hand and wrist issues are what they are, especially as we all get, um...more mature. I probably "should" get my right wrist done, too, because I suspect I have the same issue as the left did, but I'm now very "gun shy" about that because losing the range of motion like I did on the left would be a not happy thing.

Anyway, this build was fun and enabled me to try some things in the Vectric software that I hadn't used previously, like extensive use of the molding tool path for contouring since it's faster than a 3D model cut.

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA
bvww.etsy.com