CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
Hmm. I gotta look into this Fritz and Franz thing.
Here is a youtube about the F and F.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzVglze9Nk

Since I dont speak German I muted it, but it shows some good ideas about using the jig. Jim has inspired me to try expanding my use of this tool. There are other videos online as well but this one shows a bunch of different uses.

Quote:
Do you use dado blades on your slider as well? I find a Unisaw so much easier to set up for dado cuts, but maybe that's because I haven't given the slider a chance!
I use the dado on my felder, but I dont have any alternative. Now that I am use to it, I find it as easy of a switch as the traditional cabinet saw.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Not to steer this thread off topic, but are there any Saw Stop users out there who have invested in the sliding table attachment....kind of a poor mans slider?
Just curious of the results and how you may like it...or not.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 11-21-2018, 10:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjg View Post
Not to steer this thread off topic, but are there any Saw Stop users out there who have invested in the sliding table attachment....kind of a poor mans slider?
Just curious of the results and how you may like it...or not.
I believe there may be one or two owners on SMC that have that attachment. You do need to keep in mind that adding a sliding attachment to a cabinet saw, while adding some nice smoothness and repeatability for many crosscutting tasks, the fact that the edge of the sliding mechanism is so far from the blade also has limits as compared to a true sliding saw. It is, in effect, an attached miter guide that should be smoother and more accurate than a miter guide running down the slot once you have things dialed in. What you don't get is the straight-line ripping capability you can do with a true slider which is cleaner and more accurate than you can get from running a board along a fence with your hands. That's just mentioned for contrast, not to be negative.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM
CAMaster Owner

Good points, Jim...thanks. While I have considered the attachment I know it will never be anything close to slider in capabilities. I guess Im more curious than anything.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC, Aspire 9.5, PhotoCarve
Storm Vacuum
drummerjg@icloud.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

If you are going to be doing a lot of crosscutting where precision and repeatability will benefit you, then the sliding attachment is very worthy of consideration. That is very consistent with a true slider and one of the reasons I love mine..."precision and repeatability"...absent, of course, any human foibles that come along from mental mistakes. LOL IE, you can very precisely cut multiple things wrong.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us