CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Recoil Indexing Lathe (4th Axis)

Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hey Gary I did centre off centre of lathe. Touched top and side then offset to centre of lathe with accurate jog movements then stored the location and recall it whenever I am doing lath work after an initiate.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Camaster Owner

There are several calibrations that need to be performed on the recoil, plus it's helpful to add support to the rails to ensure they don't sag or wander left/right in the middle. Any error in calibration is doubled on the turned part, so small errors can cause big problems if precision is necessary (for example on round tenons).

1st calibration is the one you've done, to center the tool to the center of the headstock at the headstock end of the recoil.

2nd is to make sure the rails are level with the bed of the machine once it's been flattened (I always found it easier to calibrate from the bed rather than the end of a tool, but whatever works for you). You may need to shim or un-shim the far end of the rails to adjust their height. Be sure to check at various points along the rails to make sure they're straight...may have to support the center as they tend to sag on the long span of a Stinger 3.

3rd is to make sure the rails are parallel to the x axis by moving the tailstock along the rails and checking its alignment with a v-tool in the spindle. You can adjust the rails left/right to an extent by loosening the bolts at the far end and tapping them in the desired direction with the tailstock bolted in place to make sure you don't pinch it and both rails move the same amount. Unfortunately the rails can sometimes wander left/right in the middle, so while you get the ends calibrated the middle may still be out of alignment in X.

This is a kind of fiddly process, and needs to be checked periodically.

In addition, since the rails on a Stinger 3 are so long, they tend to get bouncy in the middle. Even leaving aside the issue of sag, it is a good idea to support them or they tend to vibrate on longer items. I ended up making 2 adjustable metal legs that bolted to the floor. I tapped and drilled holes in the bottom of the rails to attach the legs with bolts. The legs had the ability to adjust up and down to correct sag and left and right to correct x-axis bends in the rails.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Sent to Vectric

I cannot open either one and I have Aspire 9.5. I sent both files to Vectric for analysis. When I get an answer I will let everyone know.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Vectric Support Reply

Please don't shoot the messenger and contact Vectric to resolve. I am deleting the files I downloaded.

Adam Moran (Vectric Ltd.)
Jun 13, 08:05 WEST
Hello,
I am afraid that these files are unrecoverable: are the both by the same person? The first error means they would have been created in a pirated version of Aspire and if they are by the same person, the other one will be as well.
There would be no way to make these function.
Regards,
Adam Moran
Vectric Ltd | Precision House| 2 Arden Road
Alcester | Warwickshire | B49 6HN | United Kingdom
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 PM
CAMaster Owner

I guess I'll contact the seller that told me he was selling aspire, corel and the cnc as a package. No wonder he couldn't produce the original software keys. Great...