CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 01-26-2021, 10:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

I wouldn't worry about the compressor distance wise but you will lose some vacuum being that far away. I'm not sure if it would be a significant amount of vacuum but it could be.

Temperature wise I'd worry about the water in the compressor freezing and causing issues.
Hurricane Vac
Vcarve Pro 10

Catholic school IT director, wannabe woodworker, Krav Maga instructor, and CNC enthusiast
Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

My hold down vac is in an outside enclosed, unheated shed. I called the manufacturer about the cold. In the winter. Tec said It was not a problem to put outside. Suggested in winter. To help with condensation inside the unit. Put a halogen light on the tubes. After shutting it down. Slows down cooling.
Remember to figure somewhere in the line. From cnc to the vac. You need to put the filter and pressure relief units.

I vent the vac exhaust back inside during winter. Makes a nice heat source. When I first ran it back inside. I thought pvc going out. Pvc coming back in would work. After melting the incoming pvc. It's now in metal.

Yes the distance will affect hold down. Every elbow cuts it down even more.

My compressor is outside in unheated shed. You may want to add an automatic drain to your compressor. Keeps the water out of the bottom of the tank. So it can't freeze. It will need to be heat taped. To keep the auto drain valve freezing. This is also keeping a lot of the moisture from the air dryer. I also sloped the supply line coming from the tank through the wall to my dryer. This way moisture won't sit and freeze in the line. ( side note: auto drain will scare the crap out of you. Especially when you are doing compressor maintenance and it goes off)

So I don't have to keep up with different oil viscosity.(winter to summer) During the winter I put a light bulb on the compressor unit. Keeping the oil warm. So the unit starts in the cold.
20hp regen vac
laser pointer
V carve 9.5
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Logan, this is very helpful info. Ill do a bit more research but thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Y View Post
I wouldn't worry about the compressor distance wise but you will lose some vacuum being that far away. I'm not sure if it would be a significant amount of vacuum but it could be.

Temperature wise I'd worry about the water in the compressor freezing and causing issues.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
CAMhead Friend

Wow, lots of great intel in here. I clearly have some more work to do in the research front. Can you give me a sense of scale of the pressure relief unit and filter? Is this something I can put under the CNC or should it be elsewhere?

Very good to know about the pvc vs metal. Sounds like that would be a scary mistake I would certainly make!

Good to know about the elbows. I will have to rethink this too.

Great tips regarding the air compressor. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasel View Post
My hold down vac is in an outside enclosed, unheated shed. I called the manufacturer about the cold. In the winter. Tec said It was not a problem to put outside. Suggested in winter. To help with condensation inside the unit. Put a halogen light on the tubes. After shutting it down. Slows down cooling.
Remember to figure somewhere in the line. From cnc to the vac. You need to put the filter and pressure relief units.

I vent the vac exhaust back inside during winter. Makes a nice heat source. When I first ran it back inside. I thought pvc going out. Pvc coming back in would work. After melting the incoming pvc. It's now in metal.
Yes the distance will affect hold down. Every elbow cuts it down even more.

My compressor is outside in unheated shed. You may want to add an automatic drain to your compressor. Keeps the water out of the bottom of the tank. So it can't freeze. It will need to be heat taped. To keep the auto drain valve freezing. This is also keeping a lot of the moisture from the air dryer. I also sloped the supply line coming from the tank through the wall to my dryer. This way moisture won't sit and freeze in the line. ( side note: auto drain will scare the crap out of you. Especially when you are doing compressor maintenance and it goes off)

So I don't have to keep up with different oil viscosity.(winter to summer) During the winter I put a light bulb on the compressor unit. Keeping the oil warm. So the unit starts in the cold.