CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 08-02-2020, 04:34 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I'll say "spindle" too, but the 1.7KW version. Why? In addition to the noise factor (the tooling itself makes a lot of noise in wood and a screaming router on top of that is even worse), you have a lot more control over RPM, more "real" power and the benefits of an ER collet system. Yes, the initial cost is more, but you're going to completely forget about that in a very short period of time. I'll also suggest the performance package and the gantry lift. The former provides useful things and the latter allow more flexibility when you want to do things like furniture parts which are thicker. Recoil ready is fine, but don't by the Recoil lathe unless you actually have an application for rotary work. It's not a "spinny lathe" setup like a traditional lathe...it's for ornamental work, such as putting 3D models on round forms.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely be wearing hearing protection no matter if I run a router or a spindle. The machine will be in a room I built in my shop and the dust collector will be out in the shop.

It's funny how this new hobby has gone from looking at purely " hobby grade " machines in the $ 2000 to $ 4000 range to a machine that's getting close to
$ 11,000. And there's more to buy. Reminds me of when I got into remote control airplanes and helicopters.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Stinger I Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphoneman View Post
It's funny how this new hobby has gone from looking at purely " hobby grade " machines in the $ 2000 to $ 4000 range to a machine that's getting close to
$ 11,000. And there's more to buy. Reminds me of when I got into remote control airplanes and helicopters.

Thanks again guys.
Yep, been there, done that.
You won’t be disappointed with the Stinger.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 08-02-2020, 07:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphoneman View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely be wearing hearing protection no matter if I run a router or a spindle. The machine will be in a room I built in my shop and the dust collector will be out in the shop.

Thanks again guys.
Yea....I started looking at the little kit machines, moved up to considering a 2x4 machine from another brand, "decided" on a Stinger I SR24 with all the bells and whistles, "further contemplated" a Stinger II SR34 and ended up buying the Stinger II SR44 with most of the bells and whistles...I missed the gantry lift which would have been very helpful to me a number of times already. That feature and another 4' of cutting table are what I "should" have bought. So I also started in the two grand arena and invested eighteen. Plus all the tooling. And a minisplit for my shop. And...and...and...

It's only money...

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro upgraded to Aspire

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
bvww.etsy.com
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
I wear the max decible 3M cans and I'm still glad I have a spindle. It all adds up. You can get hearing loss from conduction through your skull too. Main path is ears, but it can get in other ways. DC is another big one. Put that bad boy in it's own room if you can, compressor too.
I rarely ever wear headphones, don't feel that I need to, except plexi profile cuts, those can be screeching loud. Even with that, finding the right feed speed and RPM [and using sharp bits], as you know, reduces the tooling noises to a minimum which I usually find tolerable - Certainly no where near the decibels I create playing guitar.

I do have some nice 3M headphones that I can stream music in if I want, also some Ryobi noise cancelling phones, noise canceling in itself can get annoying after a while.

I often operate and work around very loud machinery on the job, always wear ear protection around those.

Stinger 1
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

I wear hearing protection a lot, almost 100% of the time I'm in the shop. I play saxophone and can get my ears to ring if I play too long.. with earmuffs/plugs/whatever on! I can put on 12 layers on my ears and it won't stop it. It goes from vibrations in the mouthpiece right into the head.

The variable spindle rpm is a huge advantage and ER collets also. One of the first things I got was a full set or ER25 collets (2-16mm, maritool). Good luck with your new machine.
>Pen Marking Tools >CNC Drag Knife
Old 08-03-2020, 07:24 PM
CAMhead Friend

Made the order today. I decided to stay with the 1 hp spindle for no other reason than something just kept telling me to. Got the performance plus package - their starter bit set - the stand for the machine - the t tracks - recoil ready - and the laser.
Now to get the dust collector in place - the air compressor plumbing installed - and things rearranged so I can get the machine in place.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions soon.
Probably the first time I actually attempt to do something.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Stinger I Owner

Congrats! You will love it!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 10, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2020, 09:45 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

When I first got mine almost a decade ago I was worried it would end up collecting dust, instead I wound up making it.

But no mistake about it, like most anything else, you'll get back what you put into it - And though many questions can be answered, trial & error is often required.

Stinger 1
Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
There are certainly more expensive hobbies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smBassBoat.jpg (7.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg smHarley.jpg (76.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg smHorses.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)